When we think about skin aging, prevention should be the first thing on our to-do list. As the fountain of youth may still be a myth, the magical number in which the aging process begins is very real, and that’s 29. At or around this time, the aging process begins. Collagen fibers begin to lose elasticity and the hyaluronic acid in our skin starts to decrease. Acting as the building blocks and foundation for our skin, this decrease of collagen and hyaluronic acid leads to the early signs of aging. This is why it’s important to treat your skin and take preventative steps to help slow down the aging process.
If we start treating our skin in our 20’s, we set ourselves up for better skin in our 30’s and 40’s. Although our skin is still fresh and youthful at this time, we need to make sure that we are treating ourselves for the skin that we want in the future years to come. Taking preventative measures at the first signs of aging can make all the difference in the current and future state of our skin.
How To Prevent Skin AgingThere are multiple steps you can take when it comes to slowing down the effects of aging.
1. SPFIt seems like we can’t escape the broken record recommendation of wearing sunscreen. As redundant as it may sound, it’s one of the most important steps we can take to not only keep our skin looking youthful but is also extremely beneficial for our health. Even when we’re indoors or on cloudy days, it’s imperative to apply an SPF of at least 30 to help keep the UV rays at bay and keep our skin healthy and youthful. Yes, this means wearing it all year round to avoid pigmentation, wrinkles and more severe issues from occurring.
2. MoisturizeNext to SPF, anti-aging moisturizer is packed with ingredients to help the skin build and retain its natural moisture barrier. Additionally, a good moisturizer can help protect the skin from external pollutant, keep the skin hydrated and provides high levels of nutrients to replenish the skin. This helps leave the skin rejuvenated and reduces the occurrence of fine lines and wrinkles. If oily or acne prone skin is an issue, opt for a lightweight, oil-free moisturizer.
3. HydrateWe’ve all heard it before, Hydration is key. Not only is it extremely beneficial for our overall health and wellness, maintaining a healthy dosage of hydration is key in locking in moisture to improve the appearance of the skin by giving you a healthy, radiant glow. Additionally, a sufficient amount of water intake helps avoid the appearance of dehydration, dry skin and wrinkles which can age us.
4. DietYour diet choices play an integral role in improving skin complexion and tone. Choosing foods that are loaded with beneficial vitamins and minerals such as whole grains, seeds, nuts, citrus fruits, leans meats can help revive the skin, resulting in a clean, clear glow.
5. LifestyleLeading a healthy lifestyle is one of the major keys in looking and feeling your best. In addition to a healthy diet, exercise and a sufficient amount of sleep can make all the difference in looking and feeling your best. When we lack physical activity or proper rest, we tend to look run down and tired, not to mention other added stressors that can contribute to flare ups.
6. Cosmetic Fillers
We admit, sometimes taking all the right steps to ensure we’re leading a healthy style won’t erase those relentless under eye bags or fine lines that form around the mouth. Taking your self-care one step further with the help of cosmetic fillers can take years off of your appearance. Fillers are the perfect alternative to traditional, invasive surgery.
A little goes a long way to achieve natural results, leaving you looking younger, refreshed and rejuvenated. Taking the proper steps in ensuring that you’re taking control of your lifestyle choices can help reduce early signs of aging along with proper routine skincare and visits to your esthetician. Remember, prepare for the skin you want tomorrow now, so your future self will thank you.
If you are interested in learning more about our procedures, visit BeautyFixMedSpa.com or call 212-366-4787 to schedule your free consultation in one of our New York locations today!